Food delivery order API for Grubhub, Eat24, etc.
Let's see how Parseur can help get a consolidated food delivery order API for Grubhub, Eat24, Seamless, Delivery.com, DoorDash, Takeaway etc.
Simply put, an API (Application Programming Interface) is a standardized way for applications to understand each other and exchange information.
Food Delivery is booming but competition is fierce
There are dozens of online food ordering and delivery platforms out there. On these platforms, restaurants can upload their menus and customers can order and pay online.
The biggest online food delivery platforms include:
- Eat24 (now part of Yelp) serving almost anywhere in the US
- Grubhub serving more than 1000 cities in the US as well as London
- Seamless serving more than 600 cities in the US
- DoorDash serving more than 50 markets in the US
- Deliveroo: serving the UK, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Australia, Singapore, Dubai, and Hong Kong
- Foodora serving Austria, Australia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden
- Takeaway.com serving 10 countries under different local brands: Takeaway.com (Belgium, UK), Lieferservice.at (Austria), Pizza.fr (France), Lieferservice.de (Germany), Pizza.lu (Luxembourg), Thuisbezorgd.nl (Netherlands), Pyszne.pl (Poland), Lieferservice.ch (Switzerland), Vietnammm.com (Vietnam)
- And many more! Check out this list for some other popular food ordering alternatives.
Food ordering and delivery is a huge market and a booming industry. It is also an industry where profit margins are usually quite low. As a consequence in the past few years, we've seen many innovative third party services trying to help restaurants get better and more cost effective at delivering food.
Here are some use case examples at what some delivery-related services are trying to accomplish:
- Manage a delivery fleet that makes deliveries on behalf of the restaurants. Smaller restaurants often outsource their delivery fleet as it is not cost effective to manage one on their own
- Provide an integrated restaurant POS ordering system that integrates orders from all delivery platforms and consolidate them all into a single tool for tracking, management and accounting purposes
- Provide big data analytics tool to restaurants so that they can analyze delivery orders and find levers to increase profitability.
What have all those new and services in common? They all rely on being able to access orders from online delivery platforms (preferably in real time). Or, in order words, they need access to the food delivery platform API.
The problem: no public API for Grubhub and other online delivery platforms
In an ideal world, there would be a standard API format that all delivery platforms would implement. This ideal API would allow to easily integrate delivery orders from any platform to any third party service. Unfortunately there is no standard food delivery API to date.
In a less-ideal world, each food delivery platform would have made public their own API. Each API would be different from each other but at least you would be able to integrate with each platform. And you would get notified every time a delivery order comes in for one restaurant. Unfortunately, almost none of the food delivery platform has a public API. Some of them have private APIs that you can access provided you are able to strike a deal with their Business Development teams (read: you are willing to pay what they ask for). Of course, you would have to strike a deal with each delivery platform, and this is likely to end up being pretty costly for you.
So here you are: you have that awesome service that could really help restaurants being more profitable. But you're stuck because you need an API for Grubhub, Eat24 etc. and such APIs does not exist.
Well, the good news is that we may have the solution for you!
The solution: use Parseur and delivery emails as a tailored API for Grubhub and others
This is where Parseur can help. Parseur is an email parser service that extracts and exports information from emails to any application. Our customers are using Parseur to automatically extract data from food delivery confirmation emails and send it to applications like GetSwift, onfleet, Tookan or their own POS application. With Parseur you can effectively create your own API for Grubhub and similar platforms.
What's more, Parseur can automatically extract data from all major delivery emails including:
- Wix for restaurants
- ...and many more!
With this feature that we call "ready-made templates", just create a Parseur mailbox and forward your emails to it. If the email is from one of our supported providers, we'll parse it automatically for you! If your provider isn't recognised you can contact us, and we'll add it to the list.
Note: for best results, we recommend you forward your emails from your original client email (Gmail, yahoo, etc.) and not from your phone or desktop email client (Apple mail, Outlook etc.).
Alternatively, keep reading to learn how to create your own templates.
How to create your own real-time food delivery API with Parseur?
Every time a customer makes a delivery request on a delivery platform, the restaurant receives an email similar to this:
That email contains all information you need to manage your food delivery order pipeline:
- Restaurant name
- Order Number
- Customer name, address and phone
- Requested delivery time
- Items ordered
- Subtotal and total paid (or to pay)
- Sales Tax
- Delivery fee
With Parseur, you can extract all email data automatically and feed it to the application of your choice. Even better, you can also consolidate orders from as many platforms as you need into a single format by creating as many templates as platform providers!
Let's see how that works.
First, create an account and you’ll get started on our free to play plan.
When forwarding your first emails, Parseur will check if it can match them up with one of our existing supported Delivery platforms. If it finds a match, your mailbox will be tagged as Delivery and all subsequent delivery emails will be using our ready-made templates.
If you forwarded an email from one of our supported platform but it wasn't parsed automatically, contact us on the chat, and we'll be happy to help!
You can also create your own templates. You will be guided through every step thanks to our interactive tutorial. For more information, check out our getting started article..
Once completed, you should get a template similar to the one below:
Now, for every email you send, Parseur will automatically extract the information you highlighted!
Result example with the Grubhub email:
|Restaurant||Mamma Mia Pizza|
|Customer Name||Scarlett Johansson|
|Delivery Date||May 29, 2017|
|Delivery Address||400 5th Ave Room 10234|
|Delivery Time||10:05 PM|
|Delivery City||New York, NY 10018|
|Customer Phone #||555-987-6543|
1 Focaccia Della Casa $ 4.50
1 Ensalata Caprese $ 9.00
1 Pizza Quattro Formaggi $ 14.00
Pro tip: you may also want to make delivery platforms send these emails directly to Parseur:
- If possible, add the email address we created for you to the platform notification email address. This way, all delivery orders will directly be sent to Parseur and processed automatically.
- Alternatively, you can set up a forwarding rule in your email client so that every email corresponding to your filters (e.g. sender is grubhub.com) will be forwarded to Parseur. Head over to the following article: how to set up automatic email forwarding.
Send your order confirmation data where it belongs
The last step is to decide where you want to export food delivery orders data to.
You have several options:
- Send it directly to GetSwift Delivery Platform via our native integration (learn more)
- Automatically export your data in real time to hundreds of applications like onfleet, Tookan, HubSpot and many more using our Zapier integration
- Automatically export your data in Google Sheet: the spreadsheet will be automatically updated every time a new email is processed (learn more)
- Export to your custom application through a HTTP webhook
That's it ! You now have your own custom food delivery API for Grubhub or Eat24 and have a fully automated workflow to process your delivery orders!